Stay connected

  • Twitter
  • Twitter Chat
  • YouTube
  • Flickr
  • Feeds
  • TSB Recorder

TSB Recorder



  • Runway incursion and risk of collision of Air Canada, Embraer 190-100IGW, C-FNAW and Air Canada, Airbus 320-214, C-FZQS at Toronto/Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Ontario on 30 January 2016

    Released on

    On 30 January 2016, the Air Canada Embraer 190-100IGW (registration C-FNAW, serial number 19000149) was operating as flight 726 (ACA726) on a scheduled flight from Toronto/Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Ontario, to LaGuardia Airport, New York, United States. ACA726 taxied over the hold line and onto Runway 24R without authorization at the same time that an Air Canada Airbus 320-214 (registration C-FZQS, serial number 2145) operating as flight 1259 (ACA1259), was on final approach for landing on the same runway. At 2101:38 Eastern Standard Time, as ACA726 was turning onto the runway centreline, the flight crew of ACA1259, which was now 0.41 nautical miles from the Runway 24R threshold and at 270 feet above ground level (AGL), reported to the airport controller that there was an aircraft on the runway and that they were overshooting the runway. ACA1259 was climbing through 580 feet AGL when it flew over ACA726. Air traffic control had not been aware of the runway incursion before being notified by ACA1259 that there was an aircraft on the runway. The incursion occurred during hours of darkness.

  • Collision with terrain, Air Canada, Airbus Industrie A320-211, C-FTJP, Halifax/Stanfield International Airport, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 29 March 2015

    Released on

    On 29 March 2015, an Air Canada Airbus Industrie A320-211 (registration C-FTJP, serial number 233), operating as Air Canada flight 624, was on a scheduled flight from Toronto/Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Ontario, to Halifax/Stanfield International Airport, Nova Scotia, with 133 passengers and 5 crew members on board. At approximately 0030 Atlantic Daylight Time, while conducting a non-precision approach to Runway 05, the aircraft severed power lines, then struck the snow-covered ground about 740 feet before the runway threshold. The aircraft continued airborne through the localizer antenna array, then struck the ground twice more before sliding along the runway. It came to rest on the left side of the runway, about 1900 feet beyond the threshold. The aircraft was evacuated; 25 people sustained injuries and were taken to local hospitals. The aircraft was destroyed. There was no post-impact fire. The emergency locator transmitter was not activated. The accident occurred during the hours of darkness.

  • Runway overrun of WestJet, Boeing 737-6CT, C-GWCT at Montréal/Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, Quebec on 05 June 2015

    Released on

    On 05 June 2015, a WestJet Boeing 737-6CT (registration C-GWCT, serial number 35112) was operating as flight 588 on a scheduled flight from Toronto/Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Ontario, to Montréal/Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, Quebec. At 1457 Eastern Daylight Time, the aircraft touched down in heavy rain showers about 2550 feet beyond the threshold of Runway 24L and did not stop before reaching the end of the runway. The aircraft departed the paved surface at a ground speed of approximately 39 knots and came to rest on the grass, approximately 200 feet past the end of the runway. There were no injuries to the 107 passengers or 5 crew members and no damage to the aircraft. The 406-megahertz emergency locator transmitter did not activate. The incident occurred at 1458, in daylight.

  • Grounding of barges, Tug H.M. Scout towing barges HM Blue Horizon and HM Tacoma Victoria, British Columbia on 02 March 2016

    Released on

    On 02 March 2016, at 1730 Pacific Standard Time, the tug H.M. Scout departed Victoria, British Columbia, en route to Bamberton, British Columbia, with the barges HM Tacoma and HM Blue Horizon in tandem tow. During the passage, the tug encountered severe weather, the tow line between the barges parted, and the HM Blue Horizon grounded near Clover Point, British Columbia. During the recovery attempt, a piece of the parted tow line fouled the tug's propeller, partially disabling the tug. The HM Tacoma subsequently grounded near Finlayson Point, British Columbia, and the disabled tug released the tow line and returned to Victoria. There were no injuries, but some of the scrap construction material from the HM Blue Horizon was lost overboard.

  • Hard landing and runway excursion of Maritime Air Charter Limited, Beechcraft King Air A100, C-FDOR at Margaree, Nova Scotia on 16 August 2015

    Released on

    On 16 August 2015, a Maritime Air Charter Limited Beechcraft King Air A100 (registration C-FDOR, serial number B-103) was on a charter flight from Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Nova Scotia, to Margaree Aerodrome, Nova Scotia, with 2 pilots and 2 passengers on board. At approximately 1616 Atlantic Daylight Time, while conducting a visual approach to Runway 01, the aircraft touched down hard about 263 feet beyond the threshold. Almost immediately, the right main landing gear collapsed, then the right propeller and wing contacted the runway. The aircraft slid along the runway for about 1350 feet, then veered right and departed off the side of the runway. It came to rest about 1850 feet beyond the threshold and 22 feet from the runway edge.

  • Striking of ice and subsequent flooding of the fishing vessel Saputi in the Davis Strait, Nunavut on 21 February 2016

    Released on

    On 21 February 2016, the fishing vessel Saputi, with 30 people on board, was fishing turbot in the Davis Strait, 167 nautical miles east-northeast of Resolution Island, Nunavut, and 220 nautical miles west-southwest of Nuuk, Greenland. At 1935 Atlantic Standard Time, the vessel struck a piece of ice and was holed in the shell plating on the starboard side at the forward end of the cargo hold. After pumping operations failed to keep up with the ingress of water, the cargo hold was sealed, and it subsequently flooded. The vessel developed a severe list to port but proceeded under its own power to Nuuk, Greenland, arriving on 24 February. No injuries were reported.